- 1997-99: European Chair of ACM SIGWEB – ACM Special Interest Group on Hypermedia and the Web
- 2001-2003: Member of the European Commission Working Group on “Quality of cultural heritage digital applications”
- 2004-2007: Member of the Board of Directors of Epoch – EC Research Network of Excellence in Cultural Heritage
- 2010: Member of the Evaluation Panel of Microsoft Imagine Cup 2010 – World Finals (Warsaw, Poland )
- 2012-2014: Chair of the Italian Chapter of ACM SIGCHI – ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Human Interaction
- 2012- present: Member of the International Review Panel of the European Research Council (ERC) Grants
- 2014-present: Member of the Italian Node Steering Committee of EIT Digital (European Institute of Technology KIC Digital
- POLISOCIAL Award 2017
I coordinated the research project: “LUDOMI: Smart Multisensory Play Space for children with intellectual disability in the suburbs of Milan. (Ludomi: Ludoteca Smart Multisensoriale per bambini con disabilita’ intellettiva nella periferia Milanese”) which received the Polisocial Award 2017. This award is given by Politecnico di Milano to support outstanding research that addresses socially relevant topics.
- IBM Faculty Award 2016
This award is given annually by IBM to researchers who stand out worldwide for the quality, the innovation and the industrial relevance of their research. The award has been assigned for the research titled: “Socially Assistive Cognitive Robotics for the Elderly (SACRE)”.
- EIT Innovators Awards 2016 – Finalist
I coordinated the EIT DIGITAL project P3S (“Playful Supervised Smart Spaces”) which was selected as one of the 10 finalists (among 200 EIT projects) for EIT Innovators Award. This award recognises innovation teams for projects funded by the EIT (European Institute of Technology) that have developed a product, service or process with a high potential.
- “Success Story Project 2015” of the Directorate-General for Education and Culture of the European Commission.
I coordinated the project M4ALL – Motion-based adaptable playful learning experiences for children with motor and intellectual disabilities, which was selected as a “success story” by the Directorate-General for Education and Culture of the European Commission. “Success stories” are finalized projects that have distinguished themselves by their impact, contribution to policy-making, innovative results and/or creative approach and can be a source of inspiration for others.
- IBM Faculty Award 2013
The award has been assigned for the research titled: “Bodily Interaction on the cloud for Remote Therapy of Motor and Intellectual Disability”
- POLISOCIAL Award 2013
I coordinated the research project “ Interazione gestuale multicanale per attività educativo-terapeutiche per l’autismo infantile” (Multichannel gestural interaction to support therapy and education of autistic children) which received the Polisocial Award 2013.
- NOMINATION FOR ACM CHI 2018 GOLDEN MOUSE AWARD (Best video)
Alessandro Ubaldi, Mirko Gelsomini, Marzia Degiorgi, Giulia Leonardi, Simone Penati, Noëlie Ramuzat, Jacopo Silvestri, and Franca Garzotto. 2018. Puffy, a Friendly Inflatable Social Robot. In Porc. 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI EA ’18). ACM
- Heri-Tech BEST POSTER AWARD
Juan Carlos Jaramillo, Daniele Occhiuto, Franca Garzotto, Artworks’ Features Discovery Through Engaging Conversations for Children. In Proc. International Conference Florence Heri-tech 2018 IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (to appear)
- IEEE ROMAN 2016 BEST FULL PAPER AWARD/KAZUO TANIE AWARD – 25th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication.
Andrea Bonarini, Franca Garzotto, Mirko Gelsomini, Maximiliano Romero, Francesco Clasadonte, Ayse Celebi Yilmaz. A huggable, mobile robot for developmental disorder interventions in a multi-modal interaction space, 2016. Proc. IEEE RO-MAN 2016– (award motivation: “award for practical use, therapeutic potential, marketability, physical interaction, and presentation“ Prize: the robot Paro (commercial value approx. 8.000 US $)
- ACM IDC 2010 BEST FULL PAPER AWARD
F. Garzotto, M. Bordogna “Paper Based Multimedia Interaction as Learning Tool for Disabled Children” . Proc. ACM IDC 2010 – – 10th ACM International Conference on Interaction Design and Children. Barcelona (Spain) 77-88, ACM
- ACM IDC 2012 BEST WORKSHOP PAPER AWARD
F. Garzotto, R. Gonella “Children’s co-design and inclusive education. Proc.ACM IDC 2011 Interaction Design and Children 2011”. Ann Arbor (USA)- June 2011. ACM 260-263.
- Best CD-ROM Award at Grand Prix RAI 1992
For “ENCICLOPEDIA IPERMEDIALE DELLE SCIENZE FILOSOFICHE CD-ROM”
- Best EIT ICT Labs 2014 Demo @ CEBIT 2014 (Hannover, March 2014)
I coordinated EIC ICT Labs project “Playful Learning on the Cloud”, selected by the EIT Management Board as one of the 5 EIT projects to be demonstrated at the EICT ICT Labs Stand at CEBIT 2014 – one of the world’s leading ICT business events
- Best LLP demo @ Online Educa 2013 (Berlin, Dec. 2013)
I coordinated the M4ALL project, selected by AACEA – EC Life Long Learning Program, as one of the 7 projects (out of 50) to be demonstrated at the EC Stand at Online Educa 2013 – the largest global E-Learning conference in EU for the corporate, education and public service sector (3000 participants from 200 countries)
AWARDS BY SUPERVISED STUDENTS (MASTER OR PHD)
- Smau Best Thesis Prize 1992) for the Master thesis “Enciclopedia delle Scienze Filosofiche Multimediale interattiva: studio e sviluppo di un prototipo di sistema ipermediale complesso” (Claudio Buffo):
- Health Awareness Award At The Worldwide Finals Of Microsoft Imagine Cup Student Competition (Sidney, Australia, 2012 – the largest ICT student competition worldwide) for project “The Fifth Element Project” (Matteo Valoriani)
- Best Student Paper Award (First prize) at ACM ASSETS 2016 – ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility – and finalist at Grand Final Candidate For The ACM Student Research Competition http://src.acm.org/winners/2017 for the paper “An Affordable Virtual Reality Learning Framework for Children with Neuro-Developmental Disorder” (Mirko Gelsomini). In Proceedings of the 18th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility (ASSETS ‘16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 343-344. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2982142.2982143 –
- MIT-Politecnico di Milano Rocca Program PhD Fellowship 2016 for Mirko Gelsomini: 1 year research grant at MIT MEDIA LAB – Social Robotics Group
- 3rd PLACE AT ACM CHI 2018 PhD Student Best Paper Award for the paper “Reflex: Learning Beyond the Screen in a Simple, Fun, and Affordable Way” (Mirko Gelsomini). In Proc. 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI EA ’18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper SRC08, 6 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3170427.3180302;
- Nomination for ACM CHI 2018 Master Student(S) Best Design Paper Award for the paper “GenPlay: Generative Playscape. In Proc. 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI EA ’18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper SDC01, 6 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3170427.3180653 (Ciera Crowell, Batuhan Sayis, Andrea Bravo, and Andrea Paramithiotti)